Who is excited for some delicious Vegan Biriyani? Well I am excited to share this recipe with you all because every time I cooked this Biriyani I get lot of complements. Even my meat-lover friends and family loves this Biriyani. I believe you all are going to love this Easy Flavorful Vegan Biriyani recipe too. Its flavor and aroma will make you eat this over and over again.
Is Vegan & Vegetable biriyani is same?
Vegan biriyani is really not a new thing in our cuisine but we just never called it vegan. So what we call it? Let me explain little bit. Here is no doubt that in Indian cuisine Vegetable biriyani is as popular as meat biriyani. But vegetable biriyani is not vegan because plain yogurt is one of the key ingredients for biriyani. Again many households like mine cooks vegetable biriyani without yogurt for ages when we were not introduced with the word “Vegan”. I just rebalance spices for an easy cooking and mild taste.
I am not claiming this vegan biriyani 100% healthy but definitely 100% yummy. Usually I cook this on special occasion or sometime when I craving for Biriyani. This recipe is easy and almost healthy to feed my cravings or to satisfy my guests.
Also I want to assure you this biriyani is so easy to make. There is a misconception that biriyani means a lot of work. Well it required a bunch of different spices but not work. And yes it have couple of steps to follow but they are very simple and easy to follow.
I use variety of vegetables, some frozen vegetables too. You can adjust variety of vegetables according to your preference. Even though it’s a Vegan recipe, have lots of vegetables but still you will get the full taste of traditional Biriyani. To me its even better than the meat biriyani 😉
Ididn’t use any pre-packed biriyani spices or packed garam masala on this recipe. Because different spice brands gives different taste to food. That’s why I show you all the spices separately that I use for this recipe. Also in this way you can add or reduce quantity of any spice according to your taste.
If this is your first Indian recipe to cook then please dont be scared by the list of spices. On a small plate put all the spices first and then start cooking. I also make 2 groups of spices as whole & ground. So you know what batch to put when.
1 1/2CupMixed Vegetable green peas, carrots, green bean & yellow corn
Dried Whole Spices
1 1/2TspGinger paste
1 1/2TspSaltor to your taste
handful Green Chili (optional)
1. Put a saucepan on stove on medium heat and add oil.
2. You can fry nuts and raisin (for garnishing) now or do separately.
3. When oil gets warm, add onion and fry for a minute.
4. Now add tomato cubes and all dried whole spices. Let it cook for 6-7 minutes.
5. If stove gets hot too much, reduce the heat little bit.
6. Now add rest of the spices and mix very well.
7. Cook in low-medium flame for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally so it not sticking on bottom.
8. I like to add my potato in this point. Stir them for a minute and then add some water (2/3 cup). Put a lid and let it cook for 10-12 minute or until potato gets almost soft. You can boil your potato upfront separately but I like this way so spice flavors get into potatoes
9. Stir occasionally so it’s not sticking on pot.
10. After potatoes became soft, add rest of vegetables. Give them a good mix with spices and cover with a lid.
11. Cook them for another 10-12 minutes. If needed add some water and check occasionally so it’s not burnt out.
12. While our veggies been cooking, boil rice.
13. You can use rice cooker or cook on stove top. For each cup of rice use 2 cup of water. It could be varied depending on rice.
14. Since we will half boil our rice add little less water.
15. By now our veggies should be cooked.
16. Turn of the heat.
17. Now take out all the veggies from the gravy.
18. Put half of the cooked rice on that sauce. On top of that put half of the cooked veggies. Now add another layer of rice and then another layer of Veggies.
19. Cover with a lid and put the saucepan on very low heat.
20. Before serve mix rice and Veggies very delicately.